The coming plenary RECARE meeting will take place on Cyprus from April 4th-8th 2016. The meeting will be kindly hosted by the team of Adriana Bruggeman and colleagues of The Cyprus Institute.
We have made a meeting information page and a registration page for this meeting.
We advise you to proceed as follows:
- Read the meeting information page carefully, then
- Make your airplane and hotel bookings, and finally
- Fill out the registration form on the website to register for the meeting until February 29th (hotel and airplane details are needed here).
According to our hosts, you should not wait too long to make reservations for your hotel in Limassol.
In December 2013, the General Assembly of the United Nations designated 5 December as World Soil Day (WSD) and at the same time declared 2015 as the International Year of Soils (IYS). Both WSD and the IYS are essential platforms to raise awareness at international, regional and national levels about the fundamental role of soils for human life.
For the official closure of the International Year of Soils, and to celebrate the World Soil Day, a number of events are taking place in the beginning of December, all over Europe:
- December 3rd 2015: Paris: Under the patronage of MEDDE and MAAF, the event “Les sols et le climat” (The soils and the climate),
- December 4th 2015: Rome, FAO Headquarters: Celebration of the World Soil Day 2015 with closure event “Soils: a solid ground for life”,
- December 4th 2015: Brussels: European Commission, Brussels Capital, Flanders and Wallonia regions organize the event “Healthy soil for a healthy life”,
- December 4th 2015: Torino: IPLA, “Suolo, impatto antropico e sostenibilità ambientale” (Soil, human impact and environmental sustainability),
- December 5th 2015: Rome: Soil day: “La vita sotto i nostri piedi” (Life beneath our feet),
- December 7th 2015: Vienna: FAO, IAEA and International Union of Soil Sciences celebrate the International Year of Soils 2015: “Achievements and Future Challenges”.
Source: European Soil Data Centre ESDAC
Today, ISRIC finished their report 'Measures for Preventing, Mitigating and Remediating Soil Threats in Europe - a Literature Review'. This comprehensive review, compiled by Zhanguo Bai and collegues of ISRIC, describes an extensive literature survey of measures for preventing, mitigating and remediating soil threats in Europe and the wider world that has been conducted using a wide range of data sources and personal communications with all RECARE project partners. The review focuses on actual measures being applied to prevent, mitigate or remediate the soil threats as specified by RECARE. The existing measures are illustrated per RECARE soil threat.
Whereas measures for control of erosion by water and wind, desertification, and contamination can easily be found, much less information is available for arresting decline in organic matter in peat and mineral soils, flooding, landslides, soil sealing, or loss of soil biodiversity.
The amount of information available at the global scale is overwhelming, and not all of the information retrieved could be included. We have included what we believe to be accurate. Nevertheless, it is by no means an exhaustive document and no guarantee is provided about the content.
The report can be downloaded from the download section.