RECARE Meeting information ICELAND
Monday, 29th May 10:00 – Friday 2nd June 2017 13:00.
Iceland, Hella village.
Stracta Hotel, Rangarflatir 4, 850 Hella. +354 531 8010 http://www.stractahotels.is/en/hella/home.
- Stracta Hotel, 4 star.
- 99.230 ISK (= € 808) single room for four nights with full board*, 77.230 ISK (=€ 629) per person for a double room with 2 people.
- There are limited dinner options in Hella village, so we have arranged a special group price for full board.
- After filling out the registration form on this website, we will forward your data to the Stracta Hotel.
- 60 rooms are already reserved in the Stracta Hotel - DO NOT BOOK DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL
It is possible to order vegetarian food, or special products for people with allergies. Please indicate this on the registration page.
The following table shows the full board* arrangement that is covering both food and hotel room in the bundled price of 99.230 ISK (= € 808) pp or 77.230 ISK (=€ 629) pp if a double room with double occupancy was chosen . The bundle price is fixed and independent of vegetarian or other special food wishes. When not dining in the hotel (days of excursion and social dinner), only breakfast is reserved. Lunch or dinner at the hotel is not included during field trips, so if you decide not to participate, you will need to pay separately.
A packed lunchbox is arranged by Stracta hotel for the field trip on Wednesday and on the post excursion trip to Reykjavík on Friday.
|*Full board at Stracta Hotel||breakfast||coffee break morning||lunch||coffee break afternoon||dinner|
X = lunch box from Stracta Hotel
International flights from Europe to Iceland arrive late in the morning. Because of this, we advise everybody to arrive no later than Sunday, 28th May. Keflavík airport is the only international airport in Iceland.
ITINERARY FOR THE WHOLE TRIP
I. Arrival in Iceland, Keflavík Airport on Sunday 28/5. Taxi from the airport to hotel Park Inn by Radisson in Keflavík center. (Park inn hotel only offers free transport from their hotel to the airport, not from airport to hotel).Stay the night in Keflavík. We have reserved 53 rooms at Park Inn by Radisson Keflavík (4 star) which is located in the center of the old fishing town Keflavík. Single room 18,900 ISK (= € 152) and double room 22,900 ISK (= € 184, both prices incl. breakfast).
The hotel is only 5 km away from Keflavík airport. Taxi´s (~3000 ISK = € 24) are available outside arrival hall (n.b. there are no trains in Iceland and no regular busses to Keflavík center from the airport). If you arrive early Sunday in Keflavík, we recommend a visit to the Blue Lagoon (only 20 km away, a famous tourist trap!).
II. Travelling from Keflavík to Hella village on Monday 29/5. We will arrange a bus pickup at Park Inn by Radisson Keflavík, leaving at 08:00 Monday morning. The bus will drive along the south coast to Hella town – THE BUS WILL NOT GO THROUGH REYKJAVIK! Arrival and check in at Stracta Hotel, Hella, at 10:00. Coffee will be served at arrival, plenary meeting starts at 11:00 in the conference hall, 2nd floor.
III. Stay in Hella village at Stracta Hotel Monday to Friday 29/5 - 2/6 (4 nights - Stracta is the venue of the meeting).
IV. Return to Reyjavík on Friday 2/6. The plenary meeting will end with a lunch at Stracta Hotel on Friday 2/6. At 13:00 a post meeting excursion will take place on the way back to Reykjavík (drinks and snacks will be provided on the excursion).
- The excursion bus leaves from Stracta Hotel at 13:00 and will arrive around 19:00 (estimated) at Reykjavík bus terminal.
- For those who are leaving early, we will arrange a second bus that leaves at 13:00 from Stracta Hotel, arriving at 14:30 at BSÍ Reykjavík bus terminal where you can take the Flybus to Keflavík Airport (2500 ISK = € 20).
Please note which bus (excursion bus or second bus) you will be taking when registering on the registration page.
Please be aware that if your flight home is leaving on Saturday, you will need to book a hotelroom to spend the Friday night. This is not organised by the project.
7. Local Money
- ISK Icelandic krona (Íslensk króna, conversion rate ~ 1 ISK = 0.00803130 EUR ↔ Euro, 1 EUR = 124.513 ISK) Note: conversion rates change daily. Online conversion use: www.xe.com.
- Credit cards works everywhere and debit cards should work as well.
- For exchanging money Keflavík airport is recommended, local banks and ATM´s are though available both in Keflavík and Hella.
8. Local Weather and recommended clothing wear**
Weather in Iceland is sometimes unpredictable. Expect sun and calm wind but pack for wind and rain. So be prepared for everything. We highly advise you to bring windproof and waterproof jackets and pants and good boots for rocky and wet conditions. The monthly mean air temperature in Hella village in May is 6,5 °C and 9,5 °C in June so a warm sweater, cap and gloves should be in your suitcase. Also, we have a popular geothermal bathing culture in Iceland and the Stracta Hotel has both hot tubs and sauna that we have access to so bring your bathing suit along. The hot tubs are of course excellent for work related meetings in the afternoon!
Wednesday the 31st May we will have our field trip. The bus leaves Stracta Hotel at 8:30. We first visit RECARE stakeholders participating in the Icelandic case study followed by visiting the case study area, and end with social dinner at 19:00 (4.000 ISK = € 33, please bring cash***) at a local farmer’s restaurant. Estimated arrival back at Stracta Hotel is 22:00.
The field trip will include bus rides within South Iceland with few stops with short walks so bring good clothing and shoes/boots**. Lunchbox and drinks will be provided from Stracta hotel.
10. Meeting costs
- Credit card works for all places and you will get receipts everywhere, but please bring cash for the costs indicated with*** (also see above).
- 3.000 ISK (= € 24) taxi from Airport to Park inn Keflavík
- 18.900 ISK (= € 152) Park inn hotel single room one night incl. breakfast
- 99.230 ISK (= € 808) Stracta Hotel single room four nights incl. full board* (based on single room)
- 4.000 ISK (= € 33) social dinner***
- 9.000 ISK (= € 73) arranged bus travel***
- 2.500 ISK (= € 20) FlyBus to Keflavík
- Total approx. 136.630 ISK (= € 1.112)
11. Iceland information
Road conditions and weather:
Park Inn by Radisson Keflavík
Hafnargötu 57, 230 Reykjanesbæ.
Tel. +354 4215222
Rangárflatir 4, 850 Hella.
Tel. +354 531 8010
RECARE staff Iceland
Tel. +354 4883031 and mobile: +354 8955130
Tel. +354 4883037 and mobile: +354 8560231
Tel. +354 4883032 and mobile: +354 8564031
RECARE coordination team
Tel. +31 317 486 530
Tel. +31 317 486 500
Tel. +31 317 486 533
* Full board at Stracta Hotel.
** Local weather and recommended clothing wear.
*** Bring cash (ISK) for payment.